By David Dell.
Volcan, August 1st.


Volcan resident, Lydia Dell has recalled meeting a man named MIKE and his wife in February (around) 2007. They were eating Breakfast at the newly opened DALYS'S Restaurant in Volcan. (later the location of the first infamous "Mad Viking" party)Lydia asked Mike if his wife was Thai and he said. "No she's Indonesian." Possibly the Browns were looking to relocate to the cooler mountains. This would explain the Dutch passport. When Indonesia gained independence from Holland, the Dutch gave the option to their former colonists to obtain Dutch citizenship and passports.

Bill WAS hiding in Volcan.
A witness told me that they saw Bill in a local supermarket on the afternoons of Wednesday July 14th and again on Friday July 16th. On the 14th Bill bought a lottery ticket. When his hideout in the hills of LAS NUBES was fully searched police discovered a lottery ticket dated July 14th.

William Dathan Holbert has just confessed to committing several murders in Panama between 2007 and the present. Investigations may link him to 10 possible homicides here in Panama and who knows how many more in other Central American countries. His method was simple: he would offer to buy property and then murder the owners and with enough forged documents would immediately assume ownership of their properties,boats and cars.

It was late July or early August 2008 in the small Panamanian mountain town of Volcan. Bill Cortez and his girlfriend / wife? Jane Cortez arrived and wanted to have a party to meet the locals. A few days earlier Bill was sitting talking to the American owners, Don Miller and his Panamanian wife Dalys. I was part of a 60's musical duo called "Dee & Emm" and I offered to perform for free. Don Miller later told me that Bill declined the offer. The feeling I had was that Bill didn't want to be upstaged by anyone on that day.

At this and a subsequent party, Bill started to single out members of the local community who he wanted to have as part of his "inner" circle of friends.

The party was held in a converted Texaco gas station now operating as a restaurant called Dalys’s. This restaurant is the local expat gathering place. Bill Cortez was a six-foot tall American with a beard and long flowing blonde hair. His supposed wife Jane, was a slightly overweight, mousy kind of woman with her hair tied back in a pony tail. Bill Cortez drove up to the gathering in style on a Harley Davidson motorbike sporting his trademark horned Viking helmet. I immediately gave him the name “The Mad Viking” a name he relished. At the Dalys restaurant party, in which Bill supplied all the food and drinks, he told me and others he had received a large inheritance from his father in Mexico and he had Dutch, American and Mexican nationality and passports. This immediately told me he was a fraud as Holland does not allow dual citizenship. (except by birth)

He had just opened a Harley Davidson dealership. This again caused red flags to pop up. How could anyone justify selling expensive motorcycles in a small town of just 10,000 population. The value of the few bikes he was selling was between $20,000 and $30,000 dollars each. All the locals I spoke to thought this was a front for either drugs or money laundering.

At the first afternoon party, at Dalys's restaurant, Jane Cortez glanced across the road at my two story home and said, “I really love your house.” Fortunately for my wife and I, Bill Cortez didn’t. If he had wanted the house he would, I am sure, in true Viking - style have taken it. Surprised neighbors would have decided that we had suddenly sold and left without saying good-bye. But life in the town would have gone on as normal and my wife and I would be pushing up daisies in the woods behind Casa Volcan. Bill liked to keep his victims close.

A week later in the small village of Cuesta de Piedra, 12 miles south of Volcan, I went to take pictures and prepare an article on a man Called Jason Ward. Jason was manufacturing some wonderful looking “organic” bamboo fishing poles. Jason also owned a boat and I talked to him about doing a true-life adventure article about being alone on a desert island. The title of the article for a glossy travel magazine was “Jason, the “Mad Viking” and me.” The idea was for the three of us to spend a few days alone on Burica Island in the far south west of Panama. The general idea was that we would arrive as castaways and see how we could survive. I thought pictures of Bill in his Viking helmet would absolutely make the article. Did I realize I was about to be alone with a serial killer on a desert island? Not in the least.

My suspicions about the Cortez family must have been obvious. At the party Bill pointed to me and said to Jason: “Watch out for that guy, don't tell him anything."

Pictured above the Cauchero house of horrors. The bodies of Cheryl Hughes and Bo Icelar were discovered in a shallow grave at the rear. The Panamanian police have also uncovered the bones of the Brown family and together with the remains of Hughes and Icelar (Eisler)they are currently under forensic examination in David City.

In 2007, Bill Cortez went to Bocas del Toro on the Caribbean side of Panama and met an American drug trafficker named Michael Brown.(real name Salem) Brown had been on the run from the police for 30 years and no doubt felt safe from arrest. His property was on a peninsula called Cerro Brujo or Mountain of the witch. He was living there with his Indonesian wife and two sons, Marco and Watson. Fortunately for Marco he had an argument with his father two weeks before the Cortez’s arrived and left we believe for the US. Witnesses we interviewed saw the Browns and the Cortez’s partying and drinking heavily in December of that year. Bill Cortez then murdered all three members of the Brown family and placed their bodies in a mass grave. With falsifying the title deeds Bill and Jane became the “legal” owners of this idyllic piece of Panamanian property.

From all accounts The Cortez’s had committed the perfect crime. They settled in and had regular parties in which Bill supplied food, drinks and according to a witness I interviewed - even the drugs. He started his own church. He was the Right Reverend Bill Cortez of “The First Church of the Inebriation.” Bill would confer the honorary title “deacons” on anyone aiding other party goers with a boat ride. The dark side was obvious as Bill had painted a slogan on a 6"x 36" sign with big red letters which read “Lucifer’s Slave.”

Jane Cortez (real name Laura Michelle Reese) daily gave Cortez injections of animal steroids. Bill claimed he was on 5000% times normal testosterone levels. He also orally took some animal tranquilizer and washed it down with his daily consumption of 1.75 liters of Seco, a Panamanian produced rum. From several reports he would regularly beat Jane. She sported black eyes on many occasions. At one point he even said that his wife was “obsolete.” How Jane Cortez escaped being a victim is still a wonder to many people. Chameleon like, Cortez could change his personality and adapt to whatever company he found himself in.

Bill was not content with the million dollar property he had murdered for, he went in search for other victims, even answering ads on Craigslist. I know of five properties that he was considering. Sometimes both owners couldn’t be available for showing and so fortunately escaped with their lives. In 2009, I believe Bill learned of a house I was building near Puerto Armuelles. An associate said he always wanted an oceanfront home. His M.O. was simple: break into someone’s home and steal documents from their filing cabinet. With the properly forged title deeds he could then approach the owners, murder them and again be “legally” in charge of their property. My wife and I went out for dinner one Sunday night and within minutes someone had forced the back door with a crowbar. The intruder went straight to our upstairs filing cabinet and rifled through our property documents. Fortunately the alarm went off and he (Bill?) ran off into the night. Just as in the later case of Cheryl Hughes, the thief was looking solely for documents –there was an ignoring of TV’s, CD players, stereos.

In November of 2009 Cortez approached his next victim a man known locally in Bocas as Bo Icelar. Icelar had emailed a friend saying that he was going to sell his property. A witness saw Bill Cortez drive up to Icelars’ house in a white Chevy S10 truck. Cortez murdered Icelar in his Big Creek home and then transported his body, first in the truck and then by boat to the Cortez home at Cauchero. Placing his body in a shallow grave in a garbage dump at the back of the home.

March 2010, Cortez is on a roll. His next victim would most likely be his last. Cheryl Hughes was a vivacious looking woman who exuded a love of life. I talked to many of her friends and to a person everyone spoke in shock and disbelief that Cortez could take the life of a woman who they described as, “The life of Bocas." Cortez was the last person seen talking to her. Like other victims she was interested in selling her property.

In Bocas Del Toro there is a great community newspaper called the Bocas Breeze. In the July 2010 edition there was a missing persons ad about Hughes and Icelar and the contact person was the FBI representative in Panama, agent Paris N. Johnson. Cortez saw this ad and must have realized the game was up. A Witness recalls that the house appeared as if had been ransacked as the Cortez's hurriedly searched for their most valuable loot. Cortez took some money, documents and a .22 pistol and he and Jane disappeared.

On July 5th my friend Jason Ward asked me to help in the search for the missing people. He had been in contact with a small group of people trying to raise awareness and to find Bill & Jane. Ward had basic directions to Bill & Jane’s bunker style cabin. He had gone up hoping to find the house and Bill’s truck parked out-front. Jason took his all-terrain-vehicle up two separate times because the police couldn't or didn't bother to look for the cabin. He used an ATV. Bill had never seen in fear Bill might see him and add him to the hit list. It was then that he called me to ask my help in finding the remote hideaway. This wasn’t a problem as I know from experience how understaffed the police are. Jason had been a friend of Both Bill and Jane Cortez but he always suspected that something was not right with the pair. With some new directions Jason and I again went looking for the hideout in the mountains of Chiriqui close to the town of Cerro Punta. Unfortunately the information we had was wrong, but we knew we were getting closer.

July 6th I went to local realtors that had been renting a house to the Cortez and asked if they had his signature or any related documents. To my surprise they produced a copy of a Dutch passport. I took this immediately to a friend and former Dutch Police detective Erik Westra. Erik and his wife Fenna had lived on the Dutch island of Sint Maarten. There they were known as “MacMillan and Wife” after the T.V. series. Fenna looked at the photocopy and immediately noticed the term was ten years – Dutch passports have a duration of a maximum of 5 years. Erik Westra also noticed the use of two different typefaces. Soon the fake passport copy was on its way to the Dutch police and Interpol. I also sent a copy to the FBI agent Paris Johnson and at Jason Ward's request, I also sent a copy to Internet blogger Don Winner.

Icelar and Hughes disappearance made the people of Bocas put two and two together. The local police dismissed the case and in frustration on July 7th, Cheryl Hughes estranged husband, with the aid of Internet blogger, Don Winner, went to the authorities in Panama City.

Cheryl Hughes estranged husband, Keith, goes to the Cortez house at Cauchero. He discovers many passports and bags of documents including those of his presumed dead wife. He returns with the police and a search of the grounds turns up the body of his wife Cheryl Hughes and the bones of Bo Icelar. Both had died of gunshot wounds to the head.

At 6.30 that same day Jason called to tell me he just received a chilling phone call from someone close to the case that they had uncovered human remains and it looked to be at least two people. We continued looking for the Cortez hideout. This time using a high-powered spotting scope. On one road a small child suspiciously took a photo of us with a digital camera. This caused us both concern as the child was most probably a spotter and a paid lookout for Bill. We both knew that Bill had a pistol and an AK 47 assault rifle. If he saw us before we saw him – we wouldn’t have stood a chance.

Sunday July 25th. Jason says that Mike Cook has a key to the Las Nubes hideout. Ivan Flores, the editor of the Chiriqui Libre is in regular contact with the head of Detectives in Volcan, Inspector Torres. A few phone calls later and Torres, a uniformed Lieutenant and two other detectives arrive at Cafe Essenzia in Volcan for a meeting. Torres is a veteran investigator and to my mind the smartest cop I have met in all my time in Panama. Credited with solving 5 or more break-ins in Volcan, Torres is the epitome of what a modern Panamanian detective should be. A convoy of three trucks drives up the mountains to Las Nubes. Before leaving Jason receives a call on his Blackberry saying the Costa Rican police have captured the Cortez’s. Torres makes a quick call to FBI agent Johnson. It turns out the information was wrong.

After a short drive the vehicles arrive at Cortez’s mountain hideout at Las Nubes. Here Bill has built a cabin of two 10 foot square rooms. One has a window and reveals a cleaned out room. A heavily fortified room with no windows adjoins the first room. This “bodega” room has steel reinforced doors. The police don’t have authority to break open the door. Instead they search the area and discover a chilling sight. Behind the house is a grave like opening some 4 or 5 feet long and 3 feet deep. Inspector Torres uses a “T” shaped metal probe and examines the opening but decides there is no body present. The dimensions of this “grave” exactly match the descriptions of the burial sites of Hughes and Icelar at Cauchero.

Jason and I drove to Bocas and Colon Island on the 22nd and 26th of July and talked to friends and acquaintances. From one source we learn that Cortez has hideouts and food cachés in Costa Rica and in a remote location along the Caribbean coastline. This information we passed along to the authorities.

As I was videotaping Cheryl Hughe’s Caranero home, Jason was doing some further searching of his own. He discovered a trash bag. Back at the hotel we opened the bag and discovered several items that identified the contents as belonging to Cortez. First item was the ubiquitous bottle of “Seco” Panamanian rum. Second was an empty cigarette packet of the brand that Cortez sometimes smoked. The final discovery was of some historic importance in this case - the original copy of the Bocas Breeze newspaper, opened to the page with the missing persons article.

This newspaper article was a crucial event in the Cortez saga. It was an alarm bell. It told Bill & Jane their murderous spree was at an end. It was time for them to get out of Dodge - as fast as they could.

July 21st. The media leaked details of the case. I agree that at sometime the public needed informing of the danger posed by the Cortez’s. The Panamanian police had all the relevant information and obviously borders and airports were under surveillance. However it was frustrating for both Jason and I, we knew any chance of finding Bill Cortez in his hideouts was less likely. We had been feeding information to various media outlets hoping that they would keep the story under wraps until the capture of the Cortez’s. In fact I had given that specific assurance to the FBI that I would not release anything until Cortez was behind bars. This article is my first publication on the Holbert case.

We returned to Punta Robalo on Monday 26th of July. The special investigator had contacted Jason and arranged for pick up by a police boat. Jason had visited the Cortez Cauchero home many times and most probably had more knowledge than anyone of locations that Bill might have used as grave sites. The police boat didn’t arrive – but at 3.15 the police did send a military helicopter. Jason flew off to survey from the air places that Bill & Jane would frequent; in particular a deep fishing spot just a few hundred yards offshore from the Cauchero home.

The Cortez’s meanwhile had escaped into Costa Rica. Recognizing them from an Internet article, the cabin owner tried in vain to get the police to take action. Eventually she contacted a Costa Rican television news channel and they got the ball rolling. Finally after several days of delay the police surrounded the cabin. But the Cortez pair were one step ahead. No doubt sensing their impending arrest they fled toward the Nicaraguan border.

July 26th Rio San Juan river on the border of Costa Rica and Nicaragua, Nicaraguan border police capture the pair. Bill throws the boat Captain, Oscar Loa, overboard in a vain attempt to escape.

The newspaper La Prensa out of Panama City announced on July 30th that William Dathan Holbert (Bill the Mad Viking) Cortez had confessed to the murders of the Brown family. The bones of the family would be discovered and exhumed on August 3rd.

This could be the end of the case. There will be no long-drawn-out trial as Holbert has said he will lead police to the burial places of the Browns and other bodies. The question remains how many people Holbert killed and in what countries. Trying to get inside the mind of a serial killer has stumped even the best of experts. When did this white supremacist suddenly go from fraud and theft to mass murder?

From seeing his smiling face on the television news it seems clear, he is enjoying every minute of it. He is getting his “fifteen minutes” of fame and more. He once likened himself to Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine. Getting caught was just a part of his plan. He was so inept and careless about his crimes capture was unavoidable. He will not however receive his glory in some Viking hall of Valhalla. I hope if there is any justice in this world, he will spend the rest of his natural life in a steamy and fetid Panamanian prison.

© 2010 David Dell


Por David Dell. Volcán, 1 de agosto. William Dathan Holbert acaba de confesar haber cometido varios asesinatos en Panamá entre el 2007 y el presente. Las investigaciones lo pueden vincular a un máximo de 10 posibles homicidios aquí en Panamá y quién sabe cuántos más en otros países de América Central.

Su método era simple: él ofrecía comprar una propiedad y, después, asesinaba a los propietarios y con suficiente documentos falsificados inmediatamente asumía la titularidad de sus propiedades, barcos y automóviles.

Fue en julio o augusto de 2008 en la pequeña ciudad de montaña de Volcán en Panamá. Bill Cortés y su novia Jane Cortez llegaron y querían tener una fiesta para conocer a los lugareños. La fiesta se celebró en una antigua estación de gasolina Texaco que ahora funciona como un restaurante llamado Dalys. Este restaurante es el lugar de reunión de los extranjeros. Bill Cortez es un estadounidense de seis pies de alto con una barba y largo cabello rubio. Su supuesta esposa Jane es una mujer de apariencia tímida corpulenta con su cabello en una cola de caballo. Bill Cortez condujo hasta la fiesta en gran estilo en una motocicleta Harley Davidson deportiva usando su casco de cuernos vikingos como su marca registrada personal. Inmediatamente le di el nombre de "The Mad Viking" “El Vikingo Loco” un nombre que le gustó, ya que a el parecía le gustaba llamar la atención. En la fiesta, en la que Bill había suministrado todos los alimentos y bebidas, me dijo a mí y a otros que había recibido una gran herencia de su padre en México y tenía nacionalidad y pasaportes holandés, estadounidense y mexicano. Esto inmediatamente me dijo puede ser un fraude ya que Holanda no permite la doble nacionalidad. El acababa de abrir una concesionaria de motocicletas Harley Davidson. Esto causó una vez más que salieran banderas rojas. ¿Cómo alguien podría justificar vender motocicletas caras en un pequeño pueblo de apenas 10.000 habitantes? El valor de las pocas motocicletas que podría vender era entre US$ 20.000 y 30.000 dólares cada una. Todos los lugareños con que hablé pensaban que esto podría ser un frente de drogas o de blanqueo de dinero. En la fiesta Jane Cortez miró a través de la carretera a mi casa y dijo, "Amo realmente tu casa". Afortunadamente para mi esposa como para mí, no le gustó a Bill Cortez. Si él hubiera querido la casa estoy seguro de que, en cierto estilo de Vikingo la habría tomado. Los Vecinos sorprendidos habrían pensado que habíamos decidido vender e irnos sin despedirnos. Pero la vida en la ciudad habría seguido y mi esposa y yo es probable que estuviéramos empujando margaritas en el bosque detrás de la casa. A Bill le gustaba mantener a sus víctimas muy cerca.

En una fiesta una semana después, fui a tomar fotografías y a preparar un artículo sobre un hombre que había llegado a conocer con el nombre de Jason Ward. Jason estaba viviendo en una pequeña comunidad llamada Cuesta de Piedra cerca de 12 millas al sur de Volcán. Jason estaba fabricando algunas interesantes cañas de pescar de bamboo “orgánicas” y carretes a mano y es un ávido pescador. Jason es `propietario de un bote y hablé con él sobre mi interés en hacer un artículo de aventura de la vida real basado acerca de estar solo en una isla desierta. El título del artículo para una revista de viajes seria "Jason, el"Vikingo Loco"y yo." La idea era para los tres pasar unos días en la isla de Burica en el extremo sur al oeste de Panamá. La idea general era llegar como náufragos y ver cómo nosotros podríamos sobrevivir. Pensé fotografías de Bill con su casco de Vikingo absolutamente resaltarían el artículo. ¿No nos dábamos cuenta de que estábamos a punto de estar solos con un asesino en serie en una isla desierta? No en lo más mínimo. Mis sospechas sobre la pareja de Cortés deben haber sido obvias. En la fiesta Bill me señaló a mí y le dijo a Jason: " cuídate de ese tipo, y no le digas nada."

En el 2007, Bill Cortez fue a Bocas Del Toro en el lado caribeño de Panamá y conoció a un estadounidense llamado Michael Brown. Brown estaba huyendo de la policía durante 30 años por tráfico de drogas en los Estados y sin duda se sentía seguro de no ser arrestado. Tenía una propiedad sobre una península en el llamado Cerro Brujo o montaña de la bruja. Vivía allí con su esposa de nacionalidad filipina y sus dos hijos, Marco y Watson. Afortunadamente para Marco él tuvo una discusión con su padre dos semanas antes de que llegaran los Cortés y había regresado a los (creemos) Estados Unidos. Testigos a quienes entrevistamos vieron a los Browns y a los Cortés de fiesta y bebiendo fuertemente en diciembre de ese año. Bill Cortez, a continuación, asesinó a los tres miembros de la familia Brown y coloca sus cuerpos en una fosa común. Con la falsificación de los títulos de propiedad Bill y Jane se convirtieron en los dueños "legales" de esta pieza idílica de propiedad panameña.

Desde todas las Fuentes los Cortez habían cometido el crimen perfecto. Ellos se establecieron y regularmente hacían fiestas en la que Bill suministraba todos los alimentos y las bebidas. Comenzó su propia iglesia. Fue el "correcto reverendo Bill Cortez de la primera iglesia de la embriaguez." Bill confería el título honorífico de "diáconos" a cualquiera que ayudara a los asistentes de las fiestas a dar una vuelta en bote. Su lado oscuro se estaba volviendo mas obvio ya que Bill había pintado un eslogan en un letrero de 6 "x 36" con grandes letras rojas que decía un “Esclavo de Lucifer”.

Jane Cortez (cuyo nombre real es Laura Michelle Reese) le daba regularmente a Cortez inyecciones de esteroides de animales. Bill dijo en una ocasión que tenia sus niveles de tostesteronas a 5000% sobre los niveles normales. También tomó tranquilizantes de animales en algunas ocasiones y lo tomaba con su bebida preferida el Seco Herrerano, una bebida panameña. Por varios informes recabados, parece que Bill le pegaba a Jane regularmente. Ella mostraba ojos Negros por los golpes en muchas ocasiones. En un momento dado el dijo incluso que su esposa era "obsoleta". ¿Cómo Jane Cortez escapó de ser una víctima todavía es una sorpresa para muchas personas. El camaleón Cortez podía cambiar su personalidad y adaptarse a cualquier compañía que encontrara. Bill no contento con la propiedad de un millón de dólares por la que había asesinado, fue en busca de otras victimas, llego incluso a responder anuncios en Craigslist. También colocó anuncios sobre propiedades alegando cierres rápidos. Sé de cinco propiedades que estaba considerando la posibilidad "de compra". A veces ambos propietarios no podían estar disponibles para mostrarlas y por lo tanto, afortunadamente es probable que hayan escapado con sus vidas.

En 2009, creo que Bill se enteró de una casa que estaba construyendo cerca de Puerto Armuelles. Una persona asociada mencionó que el siempre había querido un hogar frente al mar. Su M.O. era simple: entrar en la casa de alguien y robar los documentos de sus archivos. Con los títulos de propiedad debidamente falsificados él podría luego acercarse a los propietarios, asesinarlos a y nuevamente ser "legalmente” el nuevo dueño de la propiedad. Mi esposa y yo salimos a cenar un domingo por la noche y en cuestión de minutos, alguien había forzado la puerta de atrás con una palanca (pata de cabra). El intruso fue directo a nuestro gabinete de archivos en el piso superior y rebusco nuestros documentos de propiedad. Afortunadamente sonó la alarma y (Bill?) huyó en la oscuridad de la noche. Al igual que en el caso posterior de Cheryl Hughes, estaba buscando el ladrón exclusivamente los documentos pues nada más fue robado, cosas como TV, reproductores de CD, estéreos o cualquier otra cosa que el típico ladrón buscaría.

En noviembre de 2009 Cortez se acercó a su próxima víctima, un hombre conocido localmente en Bocas como Bo Icelar. Icelar había escrito a su hermana diciéndole que iba a vender su propiedad. Un testigo vio a Bill Cortez llegar hasta la casa de Icelars en un Pickup Chevy S10 blanco. Parece que Cortez asesinó a Icelar y, a continuación, transportó su cuerpo, primero en el Pickup y luego por bote a su casa en Cauchero, colocando su cuerpo en una fosa superficial en un basurero en la parte trasera de la casa de Cortez.

En Marzo de 2010, Cortez ataca de nuevo. Su próxima víctima probablemente sería su última. Cheryl Hughes era una mujer vivaz que emanaba un amor por la vida. Jason y yo hablamos con muchos de sus amigos y todos decían estar en shock y no podían creer que Cortez podría quitarle la vida de una mujer que describieron como " La Vida de Bocas". Cortez fue la última persona vista hablando con ella. Igual que otras víctimas estaba interesada en vender su propiedad. En Bocas Del Toro hay un periódico comunitario llamado el “Bocas Breeze”. En la edición de Julio de 2010 aparecía un anuncio de dos personas desaparecidas, eran Hughes y Icelar y la persona a contactar era el representante del FBI en Panamá, el agente Paris N. Johnson. Cortez vio este anuncio y debe haberse dado cuenta de que el juego había terminado. Tomó algo de dinero y una pistola.22 y él y Jane desaparecieron.

El 5 de Julio mi amigo Jason Ward me pidió que le ayudara en la búsqueda de las personas desaparecidas. Él había estado en contacto con un pequeño grupo de personas que trataban de dar a conocer lo sucedido y encontrar a Bill & Jane. Ward tenia orientaciones básicas acerca de la localización de la cabaña estilo bunker de Bill y Jane. Había ido hasta allá con la esperanza de encontrar la casa y el Pickup de Bill estacionado al frente. Jason usó su vehículo todo terreno en dos ocasiones diferentes debido a que la policía no podía o no se molesto en buscar la cabaña. Usó un ATV que Bill nunca había visto antes, con el temor de que Bill podía verlo y agregarlo a su lista de victimas. Fue entonces que él me llamó para pedir mi ayuda para encontrar el escondite. Esto no era un problema ya que se por experiencia lo falto de personal en que se encuentra la policía. Jason había sido un "amigo" de Bill y Jane Cortez, pero él siempre sospechó que algo no estaba bien con la pareja. Con algunas nuevas orientaciones Jason y yo nuevamente fuimos buscando el escondite en las montañas de Chiriquí cerca al pueblo de Cerro Punta. Lamentablemente, la información que teníamos era errónea, pero sabíamos que estábamos cada vez mas cerca. 6 De julio fui a la inmobiliaria local que había alquilado una casa a Cortez y pregunté si tenían una copia de su firma o de algún documento relacionado. Para mi sorpresa tenían una copia de un pasaporte holandés. Tomé esto inmediatamente y lo llevé a un amigo y antiguo detective de la policía holandesa Erik Westra. Erik y su esposa Fenna habían vivido en la isla holandesa de Saint Maarten. Allí eran conocidos como "MacMillan y su esposa" por la serie de televisión. Fenna Miró la fotocopia y notó inmediatamente que el término era por diez años – Los pasaportes holandeses tienen una duración de un máximo de 5 años. Erik Westra también notó el uso de dos diferentes tipos de letra. Pronto la copia del pasaporte falso estaba en camino a la policía holandesa y la Interpol. También he enviado una copia al agente del FBI París Johnson y al blogger de Internet Don Winner. La Desaparición de Icelar y Hughes hizo que la gente de Bocas sumara dos mas dos. La policía local desestimó el caso y en frustración el 7 de Julio, el marido de Cheryl Hughes, con la ayuda del Blogger de Internet, Don Winner, se dirigió a las autoridades en la ciudad de Panamá. El 19 de julio Keith Martin, marido de Cheryl Hughes, entra a la casa de Cortés en Cauchero. Descubre muchos pasaportes y bolsas de documentos, los de su presunta esposa muerta incluidos. Regresa con la policía y en una búsqueda en los predios de la casa encuentran el cuerpo de su esposa Cheryl Hughes y los huesos de Bo Icelar. Ambos habían muerto de múltiples heridas de bala en la cabeza. A las 6, 30 ese mismo día Jason me llama para decirme que acaba de recibir una llamada de teléfono escalofriante de alguien cercano al caso de que descubrieron restos humanos y se piensa que son al menos dos personas. Continuamos buscando el escondite de Cortez, esta vez utilizando una mira telescópica de alta potencia. En una carretera, un niño pequeño sospechosamente tomó una foto de nosotros con una cámara digital nueva. Esto nos causó preocupación porque el niño probablemente era un vigilante pagado por Bill para ver quien andaba en el área. Ambos sabíamos que Bill tenía una pistola y un fusil de asalto AK 47. Si nos veía antes de que lo viéramos – no tendríamos ninguna posibilidad.

Domingo 25 de julio. Jason dice que Mike Cook (otro "amigo" Bill) tiene una llave del escondite de Las Nubes. Iván Flores, el editor de Chiriquí Libre está en contacto regular con el detective de la DIJ en Volcán, Abdiel Torres. Unas pocas llamadas telefónicas más tarde y Torres, un teniente uniformado y otros dos detectives llegan al Café Essenzia en Volcán para una reunión. Torres es un veterano investigador y en mi mente el policía más eficiente que he encontrado en todo mi tiempo en Panamá. Acreditado con la solución de al menos 5 o más casos en Volcán, Torres es la imagen de lo que un detective panameño moderno debe ser. Un convoy de carros de tres unidades sube hasta las montañas de Las Nubes. Antes de salir Jason recibe una llamada en su BlackBerry, diciendo que la policía de Costa Rica ha capturado a Cortés. Torres hace una llamada rápida a el agente del FBI París Johnson. Resulta que la información era solo rumores. Después de un corto trecho en coche, los vehículos llegan al escondite de montaña de Cortez en Las Nubes Aquí Bill ha construido una cabaña de dos habitaciones de 10 pies cuadrados. Una tiene una ventana y revela un cuarto limpio. Una habitación fuertemente fortificada sin ventanas se comunica con el primer cuarto. Esta habitación tipo “bodega" tiene puertas de acero reforzadas. La policía no tiene autoridad para romper o abrir la puerta. En su lugar se revisa el área y descubren una vista escalofriante. Detrás de la casa hay una tumba a medio abrir de unos 4 o 5 pies de largo y 3 pies de profundidad. El detective Torres utiliza una barra de metal en forma de "T" y examina la apertura, pero decide que no existe ningún cuerpo enterrado. Las dimensiones de esta "tumba" coinciden exactamente con las descripciones de los sitios de enterramiento de Hughes y Icelar en Cauchero.

Jason y yo fuimos hasta Bocas y a la isla de Colón el 22 y 26 de julio y hablamos con amigos y conocidos. Por una fuente nos enteramos de que Cortés tienen escondites y cachés de alimentos en Costa Rica y en una ubicación remota a lo largo de la Costa Caribeña. Esta información se la pasamos a las autoridades.

Mientras filmaba videos de la casa deCheryl en Caranero, Jason estaba haciendo algunas investigaciones por su cuenta. Descubrió una bolsa de basura. De vuelta en el hotel la abrimos y descubrimos varios elementos que son probable que identifican el contenido como pertenecientes a Cortez. El primer elemento fue una botella de “Seco” una bebida panameña”. El segundo fue un paquete de cigarrillos vacío de la marca que Cortez a menudo fumaba. El último descubrimiento y de gran importancia en este caso - la copia original del periódico Bocas Breeze, abierto en la página exacta con el artículo de las personas desaparecidas. Este artículo de periódico fue un acontecimiento crucial en la saga de Cortez. Fue una campanada de alerta. Le indicaba a Bill & Jane que su juerga asesina en Panamá estaba cerca del final. Ya era hora que huyeran tan rápido como podían. El 21 de julio. Los medios de comunicación filtraron detalles del caso. Estoy de acuerdo que en algún momento al público necesitaba ser informado sobre el peligro que planteaba Cortés. La policía panameña tuvo toda la información relevante y, evidentemente, las fronteras y aeropuertos estaban bajo vigilancia. Sin embargo fue frustrante para Jason y yo, ver como cualquier posibilidad de encontrar Bill Cortez en sus escondites era menos probable. Habíamos estado alimentando información a diversos medios de comunicación, con la esperanza de que mantendrían la historia en envolturas hasta la captura de la Cortez. De hecho le había dado esa garantía específica al FBI que yo no sacaría nada hasta que Cortez estuviera detrás de las rejas. Este artículo es mi primera publicación sobre el caso de Holbert.

Volvimos a Punta Róbalo el lunes 26 de Julio. Un investigador especial había contactado a Jason y arreglado para ser recogido en un bote de la policía. Jason había visitado la casa de Cortez en Cauchero muchas veces y es probable que tuviera más pistas que nadie sobre las ubicaciones que Bill podría haber utilizado para la disposición de cuerpos.

El bote de la policía no llegó – pero a las 3: 15, la policía envió un helicóptero militar. Jason voló para estudiar desde el aire los lugares que Bill & Jane frecuentaban; en particular un sitio de pesca profunda apenas unos centenares de metros mar adentro de la casa de Cauchero.

Los Cortez mientras tanto habían escapado a Costa Rica. Al reconocerlos por un artículo de Internet, la dueña de la cabaña intentó en vano que la policía tomara acción. Finalmente ella contactó un canal de noticias de la televisión costarricense y consiguieron que la bola empezara a rodar. Finalmente después de varios días de retraso la policía rodeó la cabaña, pero los Cortez iban un paso adelante. Presintiendo su detención sin duda, inminente huyeron hacia la frontera con Nicaragua. El 26 de julio en el río San Juan en la frontera entre Costa Rica y Nicaragua, la policía de frontera nicaragüense capturan el par. Bill arroja al capitán del bote, Oscar Loa, por la borda en un vano intento de escapar, pero ellos fueron detenidos por una lancha de la policía armada después de una persecución río arriba. El periódico La Prensa de la ciudad de Panamá anunció el 30 de Julio que William Dathan Holbert (Bill el vikingo Loco) había confesado a los asesinatos de la familia Brown.

Esto podría ser el final de esta parte del caso. No habrá ningún juicio prolongado ya que Holbert ha dicho que conducirá a la policía a los lugares donde estan enterrados los Browns y otros cuerpos. La cuestión sigue siendo cuantas personas mató Holbert y en qué países. Intentar entrar dentro de la mente de un asesino en serie ha hecho desistir incluso al mejor de los expertos. ¿Cuando este estafador cambia de repente desde el fraude y el robo al asesinato en masa?

De ver su cara sonriente en el noticiero de televisión parece claro, él está disfrutando de cada minuto de esto. Está recibiendo sus "quince minutos" de fama y mucho más. Una vez se comparó a sí mismo a Thomas Jefferson y a Thomas Paine. Que lo atraparan fue sólo una parte de su plan. Fue tan inepto y descuidado que su captura era inevitable. Él no podrá sin embargo recibir su gloria en algún Salón vikingo de Valhalla. Espero que si hay cualquier justicia en este mundo, él pasará el resto de su vida natural en una cárcel panameña húmeda y fétida. Traducción al español. Osvaldo Iván Flores.